Saturday, January 26, 2013

Graphic Novel Review: Babymouse Our Hero

Our Hero (Babymouse, #2)

Babymouse Our Hero
Written and illustrated by:  Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm
Published by:  Random House, 2005

* My daughter found the graphic novel section of the children's library on her own and Babymouse was one of the first books that she picked out on her own.  Since that first discovery, she has now read many of the books in the series.  Unfortunately, I usually go to the library during the week with my son while my daughter is in school.  But I always pick out a bunch of books for her.  On my last trip this book was included in my picks for her.  She read this book in one sitting, telling me that it's really quick and easy to read.  I was interested in reading the book to see what the draw of these books are for her.  She gave me a little tip before reading that, "the black and white pages are what's happening and the pink pages are what she's thinking in her imagination."  This ended up being a right-on target, helpful tip.

The gist of this story is that Babymouse is participating in a dodgeball tournament in gym class.  She really hates playing and isn't very good but her teacher is making everyone play and it counts as part of their grade.  So Babymouse practices and trains with her friends, knowing that she will be up against reigning champ, Felicia "The Elminator" Furrypaws.  Babymouse and Felicia end up alone in a final showdown and of course, Babymouse saves the day, thus the title of the book.

I have very fond memories of dodgeball in school.  Along with kickball, it was one of my favorite games to play.  Unfortunately, I think my daughter is a little young to have played the game so she was at a little disadvantage reading this.  She enjoyed the book through and plans on reading more in the series.  I like that this series is written and illustrated by a brother and sister.  While I will keep myself busy reading my books I don't mind my daughter reading these books on her own.

This book was borrowed from the library.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment