Sunday, March 24, 2013

Non-fiction Beginning Reader Book Review: Gross Out! Animals That Do Disgusting Things

Gross Out!: Animals That Do Disgusting Things

Gross Out!  Animals That Do Disgusting Things
Written by:  Ginger L. Clarke
Illustrated by:  Pete Mueller
Published by: Grosset & Dunlap, 2006

* My daughter got her own library card during a Kindergarten field trip to the library last year. I usually make a weekly trip to the library with my 4 1/2 year old son after preschool.  My husband will usually take my daughter on the weekend.  My daughter has a lot of reading interests and would probably spend all day perusing the books if my husband let her!  On her last trip to the library she picked out this book.  Normally, she'll read her books and put them in the "to return" bag when she's ready.  The other night I was getting ready to blow-dry her hair after her shower when she went running to get this book.  She excitedly told me, "I have a book that I want to read to you!"  While I was blow-drying her hair she very loudly read this book to me. 

This book is part of the All Aboard Science Reader Series and is a Station Stop Level 2 book.  Level 2 books are geared towards children who are reading with help.  They contain short sentences and simple plots and dialogue. 

This book is broken up into five short chapters.  Each chapter focuses on a different set of creatures (Underwater, Creepy Crawlies, etc.).  Each set of pages describes a creature and the disgusting things it does.  As much as I was grossed out by the facts my daughter was really into this book.  I think this book would be great for reluctant readers who like gross things!  It's non-fiction, so there's learning going on.  But the book is fun and the reader will learn a bunch of interesting facts.  The book contains illustrations, but I think it would be even more interesting and fun if there were actual photographs of the creatures described.

This book was borrowed from the library.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment